Incident statistics released for 2016 and Q1 2017
26 May 2017
Bus operators reported 514 incidents to TSV during 2016 that contained some key points:
- There were two reported fatalities in 2016 (excluding natural causes):
- one member of the public was fatally injured as the result of a collision with a bus
- one motorbike rider was fatally injured as the result of a collision with a bus
- Sixty two serious injuries were reported in 2016, down from 70 in 2015.
- There was an increase in the number of reported collisions with persons and motorbikes compared with 2015.
- There was an increase in the number of reported collisions with trucks and bus to bus collisions compared with 2015.
- There was a large number of reported slip, trip or falls compared with the past nine years.
The first quarter of 2017 showed a rise in collisions with a car, bicycle, motorbike or person; but fewer collisions with heavy vehicles such as trams, buses or trucks compared to the previous quarter.
There were no bus fires reported in Q1 2017, compared with eight in Q4 2016.