Waterway managers' portal

As a waterway manager, port management body or local port manager you can apply for rules to be made for waterways under your control.

The information on this page is applicable to waterway managers, port management bodies and local port managers. It explains how to apply for rules to be made for waterways under your control, including permanent waterway rules, and emergency or urgent waterway rules.

Make a permanent waterway rule or change

To propose or amend a permanent waterway rule, the waterway manager must first complete this form DOC, 845.0 KB.

Following acknowledgement from Maritime Safety Victoria, the waterway manager will need to:

  1. Publish notice of the proposal to request the making of the rule
  2. Conduct a minimum of 4 weeks public consultation, inviting comments from the public
  3. Consider every submission and provide a list and summary of submissions received during consultation
  4. Complete the Request to make a waterway rule form DOC, 322.0 KB
  5. Submit the completed form

The waterway manager will need to explain:

  1. How the rule will minimise risks
  2. Any alternative ways to address the matter
  3. The expected benefits and costs of the proposed rule.

Submit forms to TSV

Email: waterways@transportsafety.vic.gov.au
Mail: PO Box, 2797, Melbourne 3001
Fax: 03 9655 6611

Make an emergency or urgent waterway rule

Requests for emergency or urgent waterway rules should be made to the Waterway Safety team.

Request a boating activity exemption or works exclusion

Waterway managers, port management bodies and local port managers prepare and publish their own boating activity exemption declarations in newspapers, and boating activity exclusion zone and works notices in the Victoria Government Gazette.

Before publishing, a draft declaration and/or notice must be provided to us for review. This must accompany one of the following application notice forms:

We will direct the waterway manager to publish or not publish the declaration or notice.

Join our private online forum

We have set up a secure private online forum for waterway and port managers. This has:

  • Discussion boards where any member can ask questions and share solutions and experiences
  • The ability to upload, download and collaborate on documents
  • Access a library of resources, including:
    • the Waterway Management Guide
    • the Standard for aids to navigation on Victorian waters
    • the Boating Safety Signage and Buoyage Guidelines

The forum is really easy to use, and all you need to log in from anywhere in the world is an email address. It uses a web-based tool from Microsoft called Yammer. Please contact us if you would like to join the forum.

Useful publications and forms

Documents are available to download below:

Boating Safety Signage and Buoyage Guidelines are being updated and will be available soon.

For more information please contact the Waterway Management team on waterways@transportsafety.vic.gov.au

Forms for waterway managers

The forms listed on this page are for use by waterway managers. Use these forms when requesting a waterway rule or notifying us of boating activity exclusion zones or proposed works. You can find them under publications and forms.

  • WM1 - Notice of intention to request a waterway rule form
  • WM2 - Request to make a waterway rule form
  • WM4 - Notification of boating activity exemptions and exclusion zones form
  • WM6 - Notification of works notice form

Please contact us if you have trouble downloading any documents or if you have any specific accessibility requirements.