Apply to become an ATP
We are seeking to accredit training providers (ATPs) to provide marine licence training and assessment services to the boating public.
Training and assessment will be classroom based and ATPs will issue successful students with a Certificate of Attainment. This will qualify them for a marine licence to operate registered recreational vessels in Victoria. New applications will be assessed in accordance with the TSV standard.
Applicants are required to submit the following information:
- Completed application form
- Documented training and assessment strategy and lesson plans for the Marine Licence and PWC endorsement
- Details of training and assessment resources, including staff, venues and management systems
- Evidence that the applicant satisfies the insurance requirements for Workers' Compensation, Public Liability and Professional Indemnity. A cover note or other written evidence from an insurer will be considered acceptable. The applicant must submit evidence of insurance within four weeks of being accredited.
- Evidence of the applicant's status as a Registered Training Organisation (RTO)
- Evidence of current commercial registration, and relevant certificate/s of survey for any commercial vessel utilised for training, in accordance with the Marine Safety Act 2010 (Vic) and the Marine Safety Regulations 2012 (Vic).
- Evidence of the type of entity seeking registration and evidence that a business name has been registered in the State of Victoria
- A current Working with Children check for each person involved in training.
Applicants will also be required to demonstrate experience in delivering training and education in the maritime sector or similar environment.
Applicants should refer to the training standards and other guidance documents for more detailed information about assessment criteria.
Training and Assessment Strategy
The Training and Assessment Strategy should address the following:
- How the training staff will be recruited and kept updated with current issues in the maritime environment
- How the organisation will manage staff and trainers working with children as young as twelve years of age
- How the evidence of identity for applicants will be collected and recorded, with an emphasis on privacy and accuracy
- How training venues are to be assessed and reviewed for suitability and OHS compliance
- A brief outline of how course delivery will occur including the estimated duration of the course including a description of how participants with poor language, literacy and numeracy (LLN) skills will be identified before the commencement of training
- A brief outline of the process for assessing applicants, including an estimate of the duration of the assessment
- A description of the process for continuing review of course content and delivery, and for ensuring consistency amongst all of your trainers.
The test questions used for assessment will be supplied by TSV and will be amended in accordance with the new VicRoads tests for the marine licence and PWC endorsement. The new Victorian Boating Safety Handbook will be provided as a training resource.
The following documents contain information about the assessment criteria.
- General Terms and Conditions DOC, 233.0 KB
- Training Standards DOC, 499.0 KB
- Administration Procedures DOC, 477.0 KB
- Audit Guidelines DOC, 651.5 KB
- Application Form and Guideline for Accreditation DOC, 424.0 KB
Please contact us if you have trouble downloading the online versions or if you have specific accessibility requirements.
Unsuccessful applicants will be invited to seek feedback.