The following situations and activities are considered to be of heightened risk:
- Operating alone
- Operating at night (one hour after sunset until one hour before sunrise)
- Crossing an ocean bar or Port Phillip Heads
- Boating in restricted visibility
- When the vessel is disabled
- The vessel is operating in an area where the Bureau of Meteorology has issued a weather warning of the following kind:
- a gale warning
- a storm force wind warning
- a hurricane force wind warning
- a severe thunderstorm warning
- a severe weather warning.
If you are boating in any of these situations, it is critical that you know how to handle you vessel and know what safety equipment you need, particularly what lifejacket you need to wear. Use the 'what lifejacket to wear' app on our Wear A Lifejacket website.