Report a marine incident

This page explains what you must do if you are an owner/master of a recreational vessel involved in a marine incident.

  • Always dial 000 in an emergency
  • If an incident has occurred but you are not in immediate danger, report it to Victoria Police on 1800 135 729

Your responsibilities

If you are involved in an accident must give assistance to other persons involved, without endangering their own vessel, crew or passengers. 

Where death, injury or property damage occurs:

You must report the incident details as soon as possible to the police officers present or to the police station nearest to where the accident took place. You must give your name, address, identification and registration details to (where applicable):

  • Any person injured (or his or her representative)
  • The owner of any property damaged
  • Police officers present at the scene.

If you are the owner/master of a vessel involved in a marine incident:

You are also required by law to report the incident to us using the following form:

Submit the completed form, along with any supporting documents as required, to:

Fax: 03 9655 6611
Mail: PO Box 2797 Melbourne VIC 3001

How do we use the data we collect?

We use the data we collect from vessel operators to monitor trends and safety risks on Victorian waters.

Photo of a capsized boat