In assisting the Director, Transport Safety to carry out legislative functions, Transport Safety Victoria (TSV) is committed to protecting personal information consistent with the principles set out in the Privacy and Data Protection Act 2014 (Vic) (PDPA).
In this privacy statement "personal information" means information or an opinion (including sensitive information) about a person whose identity is apparent or can reasonably be ascertained from the information or opinion.
Collection and use of personal information
The TSV website does not collect or record personal information, other than information that you choose to provide to us via the following mechanisms:
- Enquiries, complaints and feedback web form
- Signing up to the TSV subscriptions service
- Online surveys
- Statutory forms.
Email addresses and any other contact details and information that you provide to TSV will not be added to a mailing list without your express consent.
Use and disclosure of information
As well as using your information in order to respond to your requests, feedback, enquiries and complaints, we may use or disclose personal information that we collect for the following reasons:
- for the purpose for which we have collected the information
- purposes relating to our transport safety research (please note: individuals will not be identified in any statistical or data analysis conducted by TSV)
- to prevent or lessen a serious and imminent threat to a person's life or health
- to prevent or lessen a serious threat to public health, public safety or public welfare
- to enforce the law
- for the safe operation of rail, bus and marine transport
- where we suspect that unlawful activity has been, is being or may be engaged in
- any other purposes required or authorised by law.
Generally, personal information that is collected by TSV may be used and disclosed to Victorian Government employees or contractors in accordance with the PDPA. Subject to the purposes outlined above, TSV will not disclose your personal information to a third party without your consent, unless we are required or authorised to do so by law.
There are additional restrictions on the use or disclosure of personal or commercially sensitive information – or knowledge of such information – that is gained by TSV in administering the Marine Safety Act 2010. For example, information relating to marine licences and vessel registration. However, despite the PDPA, this information may be used or disclosed:
- in connection with the administration of the Marine Safety Act 2010 or Marine Safety Regulations 2012
- for the purposes of monitoring compliance with a relevant marine safety law or enforcing the requirements of the Marine Safety Act 2010 or Marine Safety Regulations 2012
- for a purpose relating to the administration or enforcement of the Marine Safety (Domestic Commercial Vessel) National Law or marine safety
- for the purposes of any legal proceedings arising out of the Marine Safety Act 2010 or Marine Safety Regulations 2012
- at the direction of the Minister
- to prevent or lessen a serious or imminent threat to a person's life or health
- if required or authorised by law.
Access and correction
have the right to access any personal information that TSV may hold about you,
unless TSV is required or authorised by or under law to refuse access. Requests
for access to documents held by TSV containing your personal information may be
Transport Safety Victoria
PO Box 2797
TSV Privacy Officer
TSV Privacy Officer may also be contacted about updates of or corrections to
any personal information held by TSV or for any questions or concerns that you
may have arising out of this privacy statement.
All other requests for documents containing personal information must be made under the Freedom of Information Act 1982 (Vic), and can be addressed to the FOI Officer, at the address set out above.
Security of information
Cookies may be used on this website from time to time to gather statistical information. A cookie is a small piece of information (a text file) that a web server can place temporarily on your hard drive or web browser. It is used by your browser to identify the pages that you have visited on our site.
TSV's web monitoring service provider may use web beacons. These web beacons capture every visit, and measure interactivity at the browser-level. This technology helps measure what is actually viewed on the site.
While the anonymous statistical data TSV collects may be aggregated and used in broader statistical analysis by either TSV or its web monitoring service provider to improve our services, at no time can TSV personally identify you as the source of that data.
The TSV website's web server may automatically record clickstream data that will not usually relate to an identifiable individual. To the extent that any clickstream data could make you identifiable, we will not attempt to identify you from such data unless required by law, for law enforcement purposes or to investigate suspected improper activity in relation to the website.
Option of anonymity
It is intended that this website can be used anonymously, without disclosing your personal information.
Links to other websites
The TSV website privacy statement does not apply once you leave this website. When you link to another website, we recommend that you read the privacy statement of that site before to familiarise yourself with its privacy practices.
Changes to this privacy statement
TSV may change this privacy statement from time to time. Any changes will be published on this website.