2015 annual tram incident statistics
22 February 2016
An overview of tram incident statistics for Victoria in the 2015 calendar year.
- No fatalities were reported by tram operators.
- There were 47 serious injuries reported by tram operators in 2015, 17 of which were tram passengers and 30 of which were members of the public - the highest number of serious injuries for a single year since 2008.
- There was an increase in the number of reported running line derailments from 20 in 2014 to 27 in 2015.
- The number of reported collisions between trams decreased to its lowest level since 2007.
- The number of reported collisions with infrastructure and slips, trips or falls on trams increased to its highest levels since 2007.
- There was an increase in the number of reported collisions with road vehicles from 818 in 2014 to 856 in 2015.
- There was a sharp increase in the number of reported slips, trips or falls at (or on) the platform interface from an average of 10 for the previous four years to 31 in 2015.
- There was an increase in the number of reported wheel/axle failures in 2015 following two years without reports of incidents of this type.
- There was a decrease in the number of reported fires on trams to two in 2015 following two years of increases.
Download the full 2015 annual tram safety incident report DOC, 857.0 KB.