Organisational safety culture appraisal tool
This page provides an overview of our organisational safety culture appraisal tool (OSCAT).
OSCAT has been designed to assess the safety culture within rail organisations. The tool uses scenario-based interviews to obtain information about an organisations safety culture. By understanding the strengths and weaknesses of organisational culture, strategies can be implemented to improve safety outcomes.
The tool has been developed by Transport Safety Victoria and the NSW Independent Transport Safety Regulator. Rail transport operators are encouraged to consider its use.
This section provides information about how to conduct and report the findings of a safety culture appraisal. It includes:
- Using the OSCAT tool
- Storytelling scenarios
- Cross referenced safety culture elements by scenario
- Data collection interviews
- Data analysis
- Reporting results from the safety culture appraisal
Supporting OSCAT materials include:
- OSCAT main report PDF, 490.4 KB
- OSCAT scenario one data collection sheet DOC, 73.0 KB
- OSCAT scenario two data collection sheet DOC, 49.0 KB
- OSCAT scenario three data collection sheet DOC, 56.0 KB
- OSCAT scenario four data collection sheet DOC, 52.0 KB
- OSCAT scenario five data collection sheet DOC, 58.5 KB
- Record of interviews template
- Sample record of interviews XLS, 294.0 KB
- Data analysis spreadsheet XLS, 272.5 KB
- Report template DOC, 83.5 KB