The main role of our executive board is to provide high level governance, policy and strategic decision-making. It is also responsible for driving risk management and monitoring our overall performance.
The team is made up of the Safety Director and leaders of the transport modes and corporate functions.
Director, Transport Safety
David Hourigan joined TSV as Director, Transport Safety in October 2015. Prior to that he held a number of senior roles in the Queensland Government Department of Transport including Executive Director, Passenger Transport Division, and Deputy Director-General, Department of Premier and Cabinet.
David has extensive experience in passenger transport and economic policy, and has led major policy programs, regulated industry sectors, and driven service delivery projects in consultation with the Federal Government, other state jurisdictions and the private sector.
As part of fulfilling the object of promoting transport safety standards, the Safety Director:
- Advises and makes recommendations to the Minister for Ports and the Minister for Public Transport on transport safety matters
- Promotes education, training and awareness in the transport industry and among the public about transport safety initiatives
- Develops policy in relation to the administration of transport safety legislation.
Acting Director, Bus Safety
Shaun has a great deal of experience in safety leadership roles.
He has held bus safety management positions with Transport Safety Victoria for nine years and before that spent many years in the aviation safety sector.
Shaun is committed to working with stakeholders to improve the safety of bus services in Victoria.
The Director, Bus Safety and his team:
- Manage bus accreditation/registration of bus operators (commercial and non-commercial) in Victoria
- Assist bus operators to comply with bus safety legislation
- Monitor and enforce compliance with bus safety legislation
- Investigate bus safety incidents and accidents
- Make recommendations to improve bus safety.
Director, Maritime Safety
Peter joined TSV as Director, Maritime Safety in September 2011. Prior to that, he was the General Manager at the Victorian Taxi Directorate.
He also spent six years at the former Marine Safety Victoria in a number of roles and previously worked as station leader of Davis Station for the Australian Antarctic Division and CEO for a Victorian alpine resort.
Peter is passionate about maritime safety and is committed to reducing the number of people dying or seriously injured in boating related incidents.
The Director, Maritime Safety and his team regulate the interplay between the vessels, people and environment of Victoria's waterways. They:
- Certify/register/licence maritime industry participants and vessels
- Determine standards and procedures for navigation, maritime safety and the provision and maintenance of navigational aids on State waters
- Collect and analyse marine safety data
- Investigate marine incidents and accidents and implement appropriate action on the findings
- Enforce and monitor compliance with prescribed standards and marine safety legislation
- Commission and sponsor research in maritime safety matters
- Make recommendations to improve maritime safety.
Director, Rail Safety
Jodie Talone joined TSV in June 2016 as the Director Rail Safety. Jodie came to TSV from Pacific National where she developed a strong knowledge of both state and commonwealth safety and rail legislation through her focus on investigations, internal and external audit and reporting on regulatory and safety management systems obligations.
She brings to TSV safety experience gained over 18 years in both the public and private sectors with a primary focus on transport and logistics (truck, bus and rail).
The Director, Rail Safety and her team:
- Manage initial and ongoing accreditation of rail operators (heavy and light rail, passenger and freight)
- Monitor compliance with and enforce rail safety legislation
- Monitor and advise on mechanical, signal, track and civil engineering issues
- Investigate non-compliance, and rail incidents and accidents
- Gather and analyse rail safety data to identify trends
- Make recommendations to improve rail safety.
Director, Strategy, Policy & Corporate Services
Matt joined Transport Safety Victoria in 2012, after working in the former Department of Transport's Legal Regulatory Policy and Legislation Branch for three years.
Before working in government, Matt spent 15 years working in commercial maritime industry in the fishing and marine tourism sectors.
Matt and the Policy & Corporate Services team are responsible for:
- Policy, Legal & Governance
- Strategy, Intelligence & Risk
- Business Services
- Strategic Communications & Stakeholder Engagement
- People & Culture