The main role of our executive board is to provide high level governance, policy and strategic decision-making. It is also responsible for driving risk management and monitoring our overall performance.
The team is made up of the Safety Director and leaders of the transport modes and corporate functions.
Director, Transport Safety
David Hourigan joined Transport Safety Victoria (TSV) as Director, Transport Safety in October 2015. Prior to that he held a number of senior roles in the Queensland Government Department of Transport including Executive Director, Passenger Transport Division, and Deputy Director-General, Department of Premier and Cabinet.
David has extensive experience in passenger transport and economic policy, and has led major policy programs, regulated industry sectors, and driven service delivery projects in consultation with the Federal Government, other state jurisdictions and the private sector.
As part of fulfilling the object of promoting transport safety standards, the Safety Director:
- Advises and makes recommendations to the Minister for Ports and the Minister for Public Transport on transport safety matters
- Promotes education, training and awareness in the transport industry and among the public about transport safety initiatives
- Develops policy in relation to the administration of transport safety legislation.
Director, Bus Safety
Lisa was appointed Director, Bus Safety in November 2019 after acting in the role from October 2018.
At TSV, Lisa has also been Acting Director, Maritime Safety and in recent years the Manager of Research, Strategy and Risk.
Since working in the area of bus regulation Lisa has gained a heightened appreciation of the bus industry, its networks, its grass roots traditions, and the pride that drivers and operators take in getting people home safely.
Lisa works to ensure that all operators from the small-scale owner operators to international transport companies, are meeting their responsibilities to their passengers for the safety of their service.
With a Master of Business Administration (MBA) and an Executive Master of Public Administration (EMPA), Lisa combines her academic acumen with data-based evidence to provide practical results-driven guidance on Victoria’s bus fleet safety.
The Director, Bus Safety and team:
- Manage bus accreditation/registration of bus operators (commercial and non-commercial) in Victoria
- Assist bus operators to comply with bus safety legislation
- Monitor and enforce compliance with bus safety legislation
- Investigate bus safety incidents and accidents
- Make recommendations to improve bus safety.
Director, Maritime Safety
Cameron Toy was appointed Director, Maritime Safety in November 2019. Cameron had been Acting Director since January 2019.
Cameron brings to the role 10 years’ experience across maritime safety regulation - including senior management roles responsible for waterway safety, boater education, enforcement and ports and shipping regulation.
He also has more than 20 years’ experience in regulatory compliance and policy making in the areas of policing, fisheries and maritime security.
The Director, Maritime Safety and team regulate the interplay between the vessels, people and environment of Victoria's waterways. They:
- Certify/register/licence maritime industry participants and vessels
- Determine standards and procedures for navigation, maritime safety and the provision and maintenance of navigational aids on State waters
- Collect and analyse marine safety data
- Investigate marine incidents and implement appropriate action on the findings
- Enforce and monitor compliance with prescribed standards and marine safety legislation
- Provide information, communications and guidance to increase maritime safety awareness
- Commission and sponsor research in maritime safety matters
- Make recommendations to improve maritime safety.
Director of Operations
Shaun has a great deal of experience in safety leadership roles.
He has held bus safety management positions with Transport Safety Victoria for nine years and before that spent many years in the aviation safety sector.
The Director of Operations and team are responsible for:
- Policy & Governance
- Business Services
- Research, Strategy and Risk
- People & Culture.