Apply to be an accredited bus operator
The bus operator accreditation and registration schemes have been simplified and consolidated into one accreditation system. These changes came into effect on 1 March 2022.
Information about the changes is available on the front page of the Bus Safety section of this website in Latest News. Online information sessions about the changes to the Bus Safety Act 2009 and the accompanying regulations will be promoted here shortly.
If you provide any of the following bus services you are required to be accredited.
- Commercial bus service*
- Commercial minibus service **
- Courtesy bus service using a bus with 10-12 seating positions
- Hire and drive bus service using a bus of any size
- operators who provide services to school aged children using a bus of any size
- people who require special care or support due to age or disability using a bus of any size
- a Council using a bus of any size.
- Community and private bus service in connection with the activities of a religious, educational, health, welfare, philanthropic, sporting or social body using a bus with 24 or more seating positions. However, if you are in this category and the bus that you use has less than 24 seating positions, and you are not transporting school aged children or people who require special care or support, you are exempt from the requirement to be accredited. This exemption is automatic – you don’t need to apply for exemption.
* Including a route bus service, a demand responsive bus service, a tour and charter bus service, and a courtesy bus service, using a bus with seating positions for 13 or more adults including the driver
** including a route bus service, a demand responsive bus service, and a tour and charter bus service, using a bus with seating positions for 10,11, or 12 adults including the driver.
Find out more about the types of bus service and operator requirements.
This section contains information on the bus operator accreditation application process, including:
- The application process and forms
- The fees you need to pay
- Your obligations once you are an accredited bus operator
- The information that must be contained on accredited bus operator number plates and how these should be displayed
- How to apply for an exemption.
It is also worth checking out our frequently asked questions.