Apply for registration
This section explains which bus operators in Victoria need to be registered and how to apply.
The Bus Safety Act requires bus operators that supply the following bus services to apply to Bus Safety Victoria to become registered:
Commercial minibus service
For the purposes of registration, a commercial minibus service includes a:
- Route service, if that bus service operates a bus built with seating for 10, 11 or 12 adults (including the driver)
- Demand responsive bus service, if that bus service operates a bus built with seating for 10, 11 or 12 adults (including the driver).
- Tour and charter bus service with a bus built with seating for 10, 11 or 12 adults (including the driver).
Non-commercial bus service
For the purposes of registration, a non-commercial bus service with a vehicle that has 10 or more seats (including the driver). For example:
- Community and private bus service
- Non-commercial courtesy bus service
- Hire and drive bus service.
This section contains information on the bus operator registration application process, including your obligations as a registered bus operator and how to apply for an exemption. There is no application fee or annual fees for bus operator registration..
The video below is a good starting point if you are thinking about applying for registration. It is also worth checking out the frequently asked questions about bus operator registration on this website.
A short guide to bus operator registration
This video explains who needs to apply to become a registered bus operator and how to apply. This video can be viewed with or without closed captions.
Since this video was made, the regulations have been updated to the Bus Safety Regulations 2020 (Vic) and the Taxi Services Commission has become Commercial Passenger Vehicles Victoria (CPVV).Video transcript