Safety duties for bus safety workers
If you are a bus safety worker, you should take reasonably practicable measures to ensure the safety of persons who may be affected by your actions or omissions while working.
Bus safety workers also have responsibilities for their own health and fitness when undertaking their work.
Definition of a bus safety worker
Bus safety worker means a person who has carried out, is carrying out or is about to carry out, bus safety work including a person who is:
- Employed or engaged by a bus operator to carry out bus safety work
- Engaged by any other person to carry out bus safety work
- A trainee
- A volunteer.
Definition of bus safety work
Bus safety work means an activity that may affect the safety of bus services, including:
- Driving a bus or activities associated with driving a bus
- Designing, constructing, supplying, repairing, modifying, maintaining, monitoring, examining or testing a bus
- Designing, constructing, supplying, installing, repairing, modifying, maintaining, monitoring, examining or testing equipment in or on a bus
- Setting or altering a schedule or timetable for a bus service, or prescribed activity.
Key risks to manage
Some factors for bus safety workers to consider when carrying out bus safety work are:
- Is the person carrying out the work appropriately trained and qualified?
- Is the work to the appropriate standards?
- Does any testing device require calibration?
- Does the schedule or time table consider driving hours and maintenance schedules?