I want to...
- Get my boat licence – handbook, courses and tests
- Register my vessel
- Check what safety equipment I need
- Learn about lifejacket laws/servicing
- See rules for my vessel type
- Prepare to Survive
- View waterway maps and rules
- Read Lessons Learnt from incidents
- View safety reports
- Read frequently asked questions
- Report a marine incident
- Check ramp and weather conditions on Boating Vic
- View Safety Alerts
- View Notices to Mariners
- Get/renew commercial qualifications
- Download forms and resources
We are committed to safe vessel operations and safe waterways for the benefit of all Victorians.
As a branch of Transport Safety Victoria, we work closely with vessel operators and waterway and port managers to provide expert knowledge, education, support and direction.
- Changes to marine regulations – June 2023 Read more
- Know the three and survive at sea Read more
- Exclusion zone Goulburn River Read more
You need a marine licence to be the master of a recreational powerboat in Victoria and it must be registered. Jet ski riders also need a personal watercraft endorsement.
Get set to go out on the water by learning about trip preparation, safe operation and what to do in an emergency.
Ports, shipping and maritime emergencies
We are responsible for providing accreditation and licensing for marine pilots, pilot exempt masters, local knowledge certificate holders and harbour masters. We conduct audits and investigations to ensure compliance with safety duties, and we are the control agency for certain maritime casualties.
We conduct audits of Victoria’s ports and waterways and work with the entities that manage them to ensure they are safe for all waterway users. We also manage applications for permanent, emergency or urgent waterway rule changes, and issue notices to mariners on general navigation and safety issues.