In order to operate a vessel for commercial purposes you may be required to hold an appropriate certificate of competency and where applicable, a certificate of local knowledge.
From 1 July 2018, AMSA will provide all domestic commercial vessel (DCV) certificate services. Please visit the AMSA website for more information.
Certificate of local knowledge
A local knowledge certificate is required where the risks due to local conditions are sufficient to justify additional permissioning requirements.
Local knowledge certificates are the responsibility of Maritime Safety Victoria. A local knowledge certificate is required in addition to a certificate of competency.
Guidance material about local knowledge certificates, and application and renewal forms, are available to download here as PDFs or accessible Word files:
- Local knowledge certificate guide PDF, 80.6 KB
- Local knowledge certificate guide DOC, 220.0 KB
- CC9 Application for local knowledge certificate PDF, 212.5 KB
- CC9 Application for local knowledge certificate DOC, 316.5 KB
- CC10 Application for renewal of local knowledge certificate PDF, 199.3 KB
- CC10 Application for renewal of local knowledge certificate DOC, 302.0 KB
Please mail your completed form to:
Maritime Safety Victoria
PO Box 2797
Melbourne VIC 3001
The fee payable depends on the type of application and certificate type. You must pay the application fee prior to your certificate being issued.
For information about the fees for commercial maritime qualifications, including certificates of competency and pilot licences, please contact us.