Contact us

Always call triple zero (000) if you are involved in or witness an emergency

Our team is able to respond during office hours (Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm). We are closed on public holidays.

Maritime Safety Victoria

General enquiries:
1800 223 022

Postal addressGPO Box 2392, Melbourne VIC 3001
Street address121 Exhibition Street, Melbourne (by appointment only)
Social media

Follow Maritime Safety Victoria on FacebookTwitter and YouTube.

Recreational boating

You may find the information you need in our frequently asked questions.

To seek further clarification, report an issue or provide feedback, refer to the topic list below for the contact details of the appropriate Maritime Safety Victoria team or external agency.

Incident reporting


Report dangerous behaviour on the water Water Police (03) 9399 7500
Recreational boating safety query Maritime Safety Victoria (MSV) - boating education team

Boats and marine craft gas safety

Energy Safe Victoria (ESV) - Gas technical enquiries team1800 652 563

Amenity issues such as noise complaints should be directed to the local council.

Boating Vic

Fishing and environment

Whale and dolphin emergency Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning (DELWP) 1300 136 017
Illegal fishing Victorian Fisheries Authority (VFA) 13 FISH (13 3474)
Fishing query VFA 136 186
Vic Fishing App
Buy a fishing licenceVFA Online via Service Victoria
Recreational fishing licence queryVFA (03) 8392 6867
Marine pollution Environmental Pollution Authority (EPA) 1300 372 842
Marine pests Agriculture Victoria Online marine pest report form


Port Phillip, Western Port and the Yarra - Infrastructure query: Piers, jetties, navigational aids, moorings and berths Parks Victoria 13 1963
Waterway/facility query Waterway/facility manager (various) Contact details can be found on the relevant boat ramp page on Boating Vic
Local port query Local port manager (various) Local port manager list (Department of Transport)
Boat ramp/infrastructure feedback Better Boating Victoria Online contact form

Licensing and registration

Update address on boat licence VicRoads 13 11 71
Change address online
Replace a lost boat licence  VicRoads 13 11 71
Licence replacement online form
Register a vessel VicRoads 13 11 71
Vessel registration information
Renew boat or trailer registrationVicRoadsOnline via Service Victoria
Check boat trailer registrationVicRoadsOnline via Service Victoria
Register a boat trailer VicRoads 13 11 71
Trailer registration information

Commercial vessel operators 


Email if you have a question about any of the below:

  • Local knowledge certificate application/renewal
  • Pilotage licence application/renewal
  • Pilot exempt master certification application/renewal
  • Registering of pilotage service provider
  • Harbour master licences

National regulator

Domestic commercial vessel operators should visit the Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA) website for information including: