Local knowledge certificates
In order to operate a vessel for commercial purposes you may be required to hold a local knowledge certificate in addition to a certificate of competency.
A local knowledge certificate is required where the risks, due to local conditions, are sufficient to justify additional permissioning requirements.
Local knowledge certificates are the responsibility of Maritime Safety Victoria.
Following a comprehensive state-wide review of the local knowledge framework, a number of changes to certification requirements came into effect on 1 October 2020.
The changes include:
- the removal of LKC requirements for some State Waters deemed to be low risk – due to improvements in navigational safety practices, technology, vessel design and capability
- the expansion of some certification areas to include waters deemed to be high risk – such as waters adjacent to Port Phillip Heads and Lakes Entrance Bar
- a requirement by the applicant to attend the relevant port office for a new application and the renewal of an existing LKC – to increase the visibility of LKC holders in port waters to the relevant Harbour Master.
Domestic commercial vessels masters who currently hold a local knowledge certificate do not need to do anything until their certificate is due for renewal. The certificate remains valid until its expiry date.
Guidance and forms
- CC9 Application for local knowledge certificate DOCX, 225.3 KB
- CC10 Application for renewal of local knowledge certificate DOCX, 237.8 KB
Please complete the relevant form(s) and send with supporting documentation to TSVqualifications@transportsafety.vic.gov.au
Please do not post any documentation as TSV staff are working remotely and will not be able to access these documents.
Gazetted local knowledge area charts
- LK3, LK4 and LK5 chart PDF, 1.0 MB
- LK6 chart PDF, 1.1 MB
- LK8 chart PDF, 552.3 KB
- LK15 and LK16 chart PDF, 4.1 MB
- LK18 and LK19 chart PDF, 3.7 MB
- LK20 and LK21 chart PDF, 4.5 MB
For further information please contact TSVQualifications@transportsafety.vic.gov.au
The fee payable depends on the type of application and certificate type. You must pay the application fee prior to your certificate being issued.
For information about the fees for commercial maritime qualifications, including certificates of competency and pilot licences, please contact TSVQualifications@transportsafety.vic.gov.au.