Using distress flares
Everyone on board your vessel should know where the flares are stored and how to use them.
Always delay using flares until you can see an aircraft, or until people on shore or in other boats are in visual range. Ensure that you carefully follow the activation instructions of all flares.
How to deploy distress flares
- Read the instructions on the side of the flare
- Make sure the wind is behind you
- Firmly hold the flare by the handle and hold the flare over the side of the boat. Caution: the metal canister burns hot so DO NOT hold the flare anywhere else
- Unscrew the lid on the top of the flare.
- Hold the flare away from you at all times
- Never look into the top of the flare
- With your other hand, pull the yellow tag away from you and let the tag go
- The flare may take several seconds to activate
- Once the flare is activated, hold in the air, make sure wind is behind you
- When smoke or flame has finished, drop the used flare canister in the water. Do not drop the used canister in the bottom of the boat, it could burn through your hull or start a fire. Important points to remember
How to deploy hand-held smoke signals
- Check instructions
- Remove cap
- Pull yellow knob upward and outward
- Hold out and leeward