How to get your recreational boat licence

There are two ways to get a recreational boat licence in Victoria:

  1. Attend a course with an accredited training provider. You will receive a Transport Safety Victoria-endorsed certificate which you must take to VicRoads within six or 12 months (as marked on the certificate) of completing the course to gain your marine licence. You will not need to sit or pay for the computer-based test at VicRoads, but you will need to pay your five year licence fee.

  2. VicRoads conducts marine licence testing and issues marine licences. You must make a booking to sit the computer-based test at a VicRoads office either in person or by calling 13 11 71

What is involved in the test?

Whether you sit the test with the accredited training provider or at a VicRoads customer service centre, the test will be multiple choice to assess your knowledge of safe vessel operation. Test questions are based on all chapters of the Boating Safety Handbook.

To obtain a passing grade for the marine licence test the applicant must correctly answer 26 out of 30 questions. To obtain a passing grade for the PWC endorsement test the applicant must correctly answer 13 out of 15 questions.

We recommend you take our online practice test first. This includes sample questions from the actual test.

Applicant requiring an interpreter

An interpreter may be provided by VicRoads for any person booking to sit the marine licence and/or PWC endorsement test.

Contact VicRoads on 13 11 71 if an interpreter in any language is required. You may also ask for assistance if you are hearing impaired.

Applicants with poor vision

Applicants with poor vision must provide an eyesight certificate from an optometrist, a registered medical practitioner, occupational therapist or ophthalmologist with their licence application.

Applicants with a disability or illness

Applicants with a disability or illness that may affect their ability to operate a vessel should contact VicRoads as further information or testing may be required.

Note: A licence holder must inform VicRoads if they develop any medical condition or any previously disclosed medical condition has deteriorated which might affect the safe operation of a vessel.


Fees apply to marine licences and PWC endorsements. VicRoads has information about marine licence fees.

If you would like further information on any aspect of the marine licensing process, please telephone VicRoads on 13 11 71

Was this page helpful?

Thank you, your feedback is valuable to us.