In almost all circumstances, vessel fires have occurred during refuelling or when a boat is re-started after fuelling. These incidents can result in serious injury.
Tips for refuelling safely
- No passengers are permitted on board during refuelling or restarting
- Turn off the engine and electrical equipment before refuelling
- Don't overfill your fuel tank and clean up spills immediately
- Ventilate the tank and engine compartments after refuelling
- Don't start the engine if you can detect fumes.
- If possible, fill the fuel tanks away from the vessel in a well-ventilated, no smoking area.
- When refuelling, use a wide-mouthed funnel and clean up any splashes immediately
- Regularly check perishable fuel lines for wear and tear and carry spares
- Don't keep oily or fuel-soaked rags onboard
- Keep spare fuel in a tightly capped, secure container.
Download the vessel refuelling safety checklist as a PDF or Word document:
Was this page helpful?
Thank you, your feedback is valuable to us.