Boating with children
Many children love boating and other water activities. You can improve their confidence - and your peace of mind - by investing some time in training and education before you hit the water.
- Show children around the vessel - especially where lifejackets, first aid kit and other equipment are kept.
- Teach them emergency procedures, particularly that if the boat capsizes everyone should stay with it or an easily seen floating object.
- Teach them about stability, getting on and off the boat, and distributing the load evenly.
- If they are old enough, show children how to use safety equipment such as the radio, EPIRB and flares.
- Before you take them boating, encourage children to learn to swim, and practise emergency positions in the water, such as treading water, HELP (heat escape lessening posture) and Huddle. These positions are explained within our information on cold water immersion.
Was this page helpful?
Thank you, your feedback is valuable to us.