Marine safety legislation
- educating recreational boaters about how to operate safely
- issuing maritime certificates of local knowledge and harbour master and pilot licences
- registering recreational marine vessels and issuing marine licences
- registering sea pilotage service providers
- accrediting marine licence training providers
- regulating compliance with safety duties
- managing navigational aids, notices to mariners, boating safety signage, appointment and management of waterway managers and authorised officers, risk assessment of major events and compliance auditing of scheduled waterways
- setting standards in relation to navigational aids, dredging and maintenance of channels and general navigational safety
- researching, collecting and analysing maritime safety information
- promoting safety on Victoria’s waterways, including the use of penalties and other enforcement tools to address non-compliance
- collecting fees for commercial maritime qualifications including local knowledge certificates and pilot licences.
Vessel Operating and Zoning Rules
TSV approves general or specific operating and zoning rules for all waters in Victoria. The Vessel Operating and Zoning Rules contain the general and local rules in place for Victorian waterways. The rules are designed to provide a safe operating environment and reflect local conditions.