Rail Safety Week 2017
16 August 2017
We're getting in the spirit of RSW2017 by reminding Victorians to stay alert around trams, trains and tracks.
In Melbourne there are some common factors resulting in accidents that could be avoided by paying attention; car drivers attempting a U-turn in front of a rapidly approaching tram, pedestrians glued to their phones walking into the side of a tram, and passengers falling over if they are not holding on.
RSW2017 runs 14-20 August
Follow the Rail Safety Week tips to stay TrackSafe!
- Stand behind the yellow or white line on the platform at all times.
- While travelling on board a train make sure you're holding onto something and exercising courtesy towards others.
- Be sensible, pay attention and be alert around trains; don't play on your mobile phone, hop off your bike and always remove headphones when you are near train tracks.
- Drivers should learn how to share the road with a light rail system, especially when giving way or performing a hook/U-turn.
- Always look both ways before you cross the road where there are light rail tracks.
- Community to become aware of light rail construction zones and new light rail projects integrating with current transport systems.
Join the conversation on social media with #RSW2017 and find campaign materials at tracksafefoundation.com.au/rail-safety-week