Tram incident statistics for 2017
23 March 2018
There were over 1,930 incidents reported by tram operators to Transport Safety Victoria (TSV) in 2017.
The key points shown by the 2017 tram incident statistics are provided below.
- No fatalities involving trams were reported by tram operators in the past three years.
- The number of reported serious injuries in 2017 was lower than in 2016. There were 67 serious injuries in 2017 and 69 in 2016.
- Of those 67 serious injuries in 2017, 33 were the result of passenger slips, trips or falls. Passengers aged between 65 and 98 were involved in 24 of those incidents, representing 73 per cent of those serious injuries.
- The number of running line derailments, collisions between trams and fires on trams are at their lowest for the past five years.
- The number of collisions with persons, collisions with road vehicles and slips, trips or falls are at their highest for the past five years.
- The number of reported slips, trips or falls on trams continues to increase. The 2017 increase is 34 per cent compared with 2016 and equates to an increase of 140% over the past five years.
- There was a two per cent increase in the number of reported collisions with road vehicles from 962 in 2016 to 977 in 2017.
View the latest annual and quarterly tram incident statistics