Information, guidance and education
Information, guidance and education promote voluntary compliance among duty-holders.
This approach is most often used when:
- Regulatory obligations are new or have changed significantly and there is little or no awareness of these new obligations across the sector
- The main objective is to increase voluntarily compliance or the capacity to comply and continuously improve
- There is an identifiable breach but it is non-safety critical and / or the circumstances surrounding it are minor
- There is an emerging or known safety issue that is not well understood by duty-holders.
In general, an information/guidance approach will be more appropriate:
- The lower the risk to safety arising from the breach
- The lower the broader impact of the breach and
- The higher the willingness/capacity of the duty-holder to comply.