Our primary objective is to independently seek the highest transport safety standards that are reasonably practicable, consistent with the transport system's vision and objectives under the Transport Integration Act 2010 (Vic).
Marine safety legislation
The Act and Regulations set out a range of requirements, including:
- A framework to ensure recreational vessels are fit for purpose and those who operate them are properly skilled
- Safety duties for persons and parties responsible for marine safety
- Penalties and regulatory tools to address non-compliance with marine safety legislation and waterway rules.
Recreational boating fees related to vessels, marine licences and endorsements; as well as commercial fees for local knowledge certificates and pilotage, are included in the Marine Safety (Fees) Regulations 2021.
Transport safety officers
Transport safety officer powers are allowed for in the Transport (Safety Schemes Compliance and Enforcement) Act 2014 (Vic)
Safety duties of port management bodies and local port managers are outlined in the Marine Safety Act 2010 (Vic)
Vessel Operating and Zoning Rules
The Vessel Operating and Zoning Rules (VOZR) contain the general and local rules in place for Victorian waterways. The rules are designed to provide a safe operating environment and reflect local conditions.
National maritime safety regulator
On 1 July 2013, the Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA) became the national regulator for domestic commercial vessels and is responsible for administering the National System for Domestic Commercial Vessel Safety (national system).
Bus safety legislation
Bus safety legislation in Victoria is made up of several Acts and Regulations.
- Bus Safety Act 2009 (Vic)
- Bus Safety Regulations 2020 (Vic)
- Transport (Safety Schemes Compliance and Enforcement) Act 2014 (Vic)
- Heavy Vehicle National Law Application Act 2013 (Vic)
The Act and Regulations have been designed to promote an improved safety culture across bus operations, and apply to all commercial and non-commercial operations. The Bus Safety Act provides for the safe operation of bus services in Victoria, in particular: